Mountains

Mountains

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Life, Preserved in Formaldehyde

There is no way to mince words: New Mexico Tech ate my alumni account.

It will soon disappear down the gullet of the bureaucracy in an attempt to prevent litigation by various copyright holders and to attempt to preserve the schools stunted cash flow.

Last night I deployed a strategic rsync command and saved everything to my hard drive, and burnt a copy to CD. I hope to bring it back to life somewhere else. But the time for that is not now. I debated about interim solutions for several weeks, until the last minute, really. I ultimately settled on using blogger until I can get my web hosting situation ironed out. While I would really prefer VM or dedicated hosting solution, the transition to work from grad school has decimated our finances.

Things may be here for some time, unfortunately.

It is so bland, with it's cutesy AJAX editor neatly beaming every character off into some abyss even as a type this. It feels like every other blog out there. I really don't like that.

I like emacs, and perl, and the security of knowing every little bit of what it does.

2 comments:

  1. a piece remains
    http://infohost.nmt.edu/~holstien/
    but maybe you knew that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! I'm actually somewhat surprised that it still does. When I was a student, they happily erased accounts of people who weren't alumni and/or dropped out. Pages vanished all the time. When I wrote this post, it seemed deletion was immanent.

      Delete

Leave a message after the tone...