Mountains

Mountains

Monday, June 13, 2011

That Thing I Was Meaning to Tell You About

It was the epitome of an awkward moment.

My bride was standing on my right. The officiant on my left. 8 family members milled nervously. Even in the shade of the trees, the temperature had reached into the 90's (°F), and the flowers would soon be wilting, followed by everyone else if we were not careful. However, there was an unexpected delay; two of my erstwhile groomsmen had decided there was something far more important to do that absolutely could not wait. We could plainly see them trashing the ChevOldsmoBuiac in the parking lot.

I nervously tried to make conversation whilst streamers, shoe polish, and various things were glued. Lovely.

After they were satisfied with their "work", we finally got everyone together and quiet. I stood over here. She faced me, standing over there. We looked at each other, and in a few minutes, we were married, and our family surrounded us, blowing bubbles.


From there, we crossed back and forth across the routes of Cornwallis, Lee, and countless others, dogged by August heat in the last days of May. Somewhere beyond Dulles the city stops and the farms and forest start, and it's fun to be alive and outside again. There are twisty back roads, places to explore, and quiet inns with air conditioning. Though the baking might melt chocolate bars and people, but it is good for wine grapes.

To be fair, our wedding small and simple as it was, went far better than I ever imagined it would.

I am very happy.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...