Mountains

Mountains

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Oh Snap!


 I was trying hard to grab bigger gears so I could grind up to the top of the overpass, looking forward to the long fast cruise before the next mini-hills. But that's not what happened. Instead, something gave, and the shifter went practically limp. I was stuck in a tiny gear.

I instantly knew the shifter cable had broke, and so I made it home using the front chain rings and grit.

This proves my theory that my bicycle has too many gears: Clearly, I can accomplish my daily grind on three speeds. Heck, I could do it on one if I wasn't in any form of hurry.

After two trips to the bike shop (without and with the shifter), i was able to procure a replacement cable for a mere seven scruples.

With the new cable, the shifter works better than it ever did before, making me wonder how long the old cable had been fraying in the tube. With the new cable, shifts are fast and crisp, and the drag feels springy and positive, not lazy and mushy. The shifter doesn't feel like it hunts for gears anymore.

Now if I could just convince the front shifter to work when it's cold. I've decided to celebrate winter by not using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...