Mountains

Mountains

Friday, July 26, 2013

Garden Progress

 May 26 2013
I wasn't planning on gardening originally, then our friends gifted us some extra tomato plants. Still, I was unsure about putting in the effort, until the plants, still in tray, started to produce tomatoes.

I built a raised 3 x 6 x 2 planter out and filled it with "organic" gardening soil. My choice in soil turned out to be just the thing to stunt the plants for a few months.


June 17 2013
Tomatos have been in the bed long enough for the zuchini to come up. I had thought and hoped that by planting them in a bed with fresh soil, they would flourish. However, they did nothing for a long time.

June 27 2013
I built a second planter out of scrap wood. The city was tossing pallets, so I filled the back of the station wagon and cut the nails between the boards with a sawzall. Only a fraction of the pallet wood was long enough to easily construct a planter without a radical redesign, and I ended up using some other scraps from around the house for the 6' members.

 June 30 2013
Since the soil I bought for the first planter didn't seem to be very good at support plant life (though it was great at supporting mold!), I bought 18 cu. ft. of soil from the garden and landscape supply store. They also sell bulk premixed soil at a ~40% discount over bagged. Next time, I'll take a trailer instead of a station wagon.

July 1 2013
Facing north. The garden gets full sun all day long. That also means it needs some extra attention, as it evaporates water quickly.

 July 7 2013
Green bean sprouts in the second planter, after a week. This soil works much better.

July 7th 2013
Slime mold explosion in the first planter. I ended up using a shovel to scrape it off the sides and soil, and I had to pick it off the zuchinni. The first batch of soil wasn't done compositing when the company bagged it. Ew. My veggies are trying to grow in that.

July 19 2013

Artificial rain watering the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...