Mountains

Mountains

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Mechanical Scrubbing Actions

I make a sauce for mac'n cheese that binds the noodles together and gives it a thick, smooth texture. The sauce is made from 2 cups milk, 1/4 cup flour, butter, salt, and pepper.

This mixture burns easily and also has a tendency to boil over quickly. The last time I cooked the dish, several weeks ago, I burnt the pyrex pot I was cooking it in quite badly.

I let the pot sit in the sink, scrubbing it periodically for several weeks. I assumed that since it was pyrex -glass-, sooner or later the carbon-slag would lift free and the pot would be easy to scrub clean. After two weeks, it became obvious that no sane amount of brillowpad and soaking would work. I wanted the sink empty. I dried the pot and it's carbon padded interior, then produced the dremel with a stainless steel brush. I ran it up to half speed and carefully applied it to the burn, which vanished in a puff, leaving clear, unmarked glass behind. I pushed the brush in until it deformed slightly, and cleaned the pot in rhythmic 1/8" strokes.

The pot is once again clean.

That dremel is like a miracle with an on/off switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...