Mountains

Mountains

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Auto Parts Epiphany

I'm beginning to think, nay, truely believe, that most replacement car parts, even OEM replacement parts, are inferior to the components originally installed on the car.

The immediate case in point is the parking brake cables on the ChevOldsmoBuiac, my 1990 GM a-body oldsmobile. The original cable worked perfectly for 20 years, though it eventually seized, piece by piece (it has 3 sections), over the past 5. A few years ago I replaced the last piece and thought I was good forever.

These cables seize because the outer sheathing coils rust and expand, constricting the nylon coated inside. The new cables apparently had inferior environmental protection, and so now have suddenly decided that they can barely budge.

Similiarly, the original brake cylinders (rear) and brake calipers (front) have required periodic replacement due to leaks and seizing every few years since the originals were replaced in 2007 or so. If memory serves, we're on the third set.

We also blow through rear pipes and mufflers at a rate of one ever 3 years. It's kinda nuts.

Far cheaper than a car payment, since I'm doing the work, but still kinda nuts.

I don't think this holds across the board, of course, I swapped the OEM shocks and struts in the Olds for Monroes in 2005 and they've been great. I only am thinking about replacing them now due to dry rotting bushings and the impressive amount of rust present.

Perhaps a descerning shade tree mechanic would do well to attempt to source and install only premium parts.

Except I mostly do that, and it doesn't seem to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...