Mountains

Mountains

Friday, December 17, 2010

Carnage

I knew that the Volvo was going be more than just purchase price, insurance, and registration fees. There was a lot wrong with it. The rear lights were foozy, the exhaust was swiss cheese, the front turn signal cover was gone, and the mechanic had suggested that numerous other subsystems needed work... the brakes, the timing belt. There is usually hidden costs in getting a well used car. After all, if it's free, there's probably something wrong with it.

I had set some limit in the range of $1000 to bring it back to life. I had estimated that it would be about $600, though I hoped that it would be less.

In the end, the exhaust was cheaper, but it wouldn't pass inspection without replacing the rear brake rotors and shoes. When I replaced the driver side brakes, i discovered that the outer piston had seized. The piston would not easily go back into the calliper using the C-clamp. Unfortunately, no one stocks that calliper (apparently there are 36, 38, and 40mm callipers for these cars, auto parts stores cover their bases by carrying none of them.)

I needed to get the car to pass inspection, lest I get ticketed in my driveway (the car was already branded with a pink failure sticker...) I forced the piston back in to the calliper by bracing the clamp against the hub and pushing with all my might on the handle. It really hurt. The piston eventually went back in, but when I had re-assembled the brakes, it was dragging the rear brake worse than before. I had wondered why the car wasn't rolling back on hills. The first time I drove it, the rear end had a lovely warm aroma of singed brake pad. The wheel was also a little warm by the time I got to work. Whatever the jam was, it was very unidirectional. To pass inspection, I drove to the strip mall behind the inspection station and let the car sit for 20 minutes until the wheel smelled and felt normal, and then took it in. The mechanic saw shiney new discs and pads and gave me a passing sticker. Woo!

I replaced the calliper this last weekend. Now it rolls back on hills and smells fine. There was a small burn spot the size of a dime on the outer pad. Very weird.

So, while I didn't have to get a new catalytic converter, I did end up spending that money on the brake system. I think, if the car does not throw a rod or do something too insane before spring, it will be getting new shocks. The rear shocks are leaking and the front in does not have a uniform bounce. I also have new anti-sway linkages to install, and I need to fix the clutch clevis.

Under the dash of my Volvo 740. It comes apart very easily. Which is good. because I have to take it apart a lot.

Symptoms of warn clutch pedal clevis: low pedal, with lots of play, and tons of ground plastic bits at the hinge.


New and old mufflers.


Brakes.

 I have used nearly half a jar of anti-seize compound keeping my 20 year old cars from rusting together. Hubs, discs, rotors, and rims are among the worst offenders.

Which of these pads was on the seized calliper?

1 comment:

  1. Wait, so they will ticket you for failing an inspection when the car is parked in your driveway??? Sounds like a homeowners-association-gone-bad has taken over running the place. You should be able to store your car for quite some time while fixing it.

    In other news, the first captcha for this comment was flabbi

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the tone...