Mountains

Mountains

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Black Grey White Black Grey White Black

The colors my dog cycles through in a snowstorm.


And suddenly!

There is a lot of snow out there.

Not the most ever.

The winter of 2006 in colorado and the winter of 2007 in New Hampshire were the worst. In 2007, I was having serious fantasies about dumping gasoline in the yard and lighting it to see if the ground was still there.

So, this is just a little pile of white stuff.

I watched a tree break and fall over in the back yard, and the entire bamboo stand appears to be leaning against the house. There are some flashes in the night sky from fizzottled transformers.

I plugged in the christmas lights to make it seem festive.

Snow has a different effect on people here than it does in other places i've lived. A snowstorm is some kind of meteorological codeword that spurs mass hystaria and lowers the average IQ to levels befitting people who drink methyl mercury for fun. Given this is a car-culture, you can imagine the show.

I came home to find my nieghbor doing donuts around the cul-de-sac in his pickup. By the time I walked the dog, there were rice rockets poking out of the ditch.

I have been getting regular calls and texts from The Girly. Apparently traffic moves at 0.5 km/hr in DC when stuff like this happens, thus it took her 3 hours to
get 6 miles. Fortunately, she has yogurt and pizza, and I assume she can figure out how to use it. In western DC, it's the second coming, and it's white and heavy. Power lines are going down and lighting things on fire. There are cars spinning out, and people are just abandoning their cars and wandering off.

What is it with people?

Certainly, I understand that it's fun to screw around and spin tires, but when an entire city decides to do it at once during rush hour, it's the trifecta of duche-baggery. My essential message to humanity: Everyone grow up and go easy on the gas.

So that whole situation ruined my scheme for a pizza and alcohol fuelled romantic evening. I'm glad I didn't bother to splurge on steaks on the way home.

I trumped around the yard and shovelled snow until my back and shoulders had enough. I took a quadrillion photos that I'll probably post in short order. The Dog and I wandered out to the main drag and offered to help people push their cars out of the ditch. I cam in side and surfed the web and paid the rent.

And, now, here I am again.

1 comment:

  1. What do you do in the face of popular disapproval? Give me an H! *H*! (fast forward) And what do you get? HERMIT! Damn virginians, get off my lawn. I thought it would be nice to live in a state chocked full of virgins, but I was wrong. So mind-shatteringly wrong.

    Last one to build a directional EMP gun is a rotten egg! (show those pesky * )

    -A

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the tone...