Mountains

Mountains

Monday, January 21, 2013

Obey Posted Speed Limits

We took the Pike Peak Cog Railway to the top of Pikes Peak on Christmas Eve.

I think this is the first time in 10 years I've seen the trains up close (actually, it might be more, I don't remember if I drove up last time or took the Cog). This time I paid a lot more attention to the details of the engines.

The biggest gauge was the speedometer. It was about 8 inches in diameter and ranged from 0 to 15 mph. While slow compared to most commuter trains, I would note that most people can't climb the mountain that fast, and it can keep a decent speed up a grade at high altitude. My ponderings of higher velocities were curtailed when I looked out the window and saw this:


The rails are so warped that it would seem to be a mistake to attempt high speed travel. Besides, your sinuses might explode from the pressure change.

1 comment:

  1. Yuck! That is some nasty track. I have seen worse, but not in operation.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the tone...