Mountains

Mountains

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Where I Do My Work

I have to fill out lots of forms at work. I think somewhere there is someone whos job in our organization is to make forms, and that person is trying very hard to impress everyone with the quality and quantity of forms that must be filled out.

One of todays forms asked me to describe my home office. It is highly likely that the form was trying to determine if my work "environment" was a doghouse in the backyard. I wasn't sure, so I tried to cover as many bases as possible.

Describe your work environment:
"Small office with a door, a desk, rolling chair, and a telephone, and a north facing window looking out over a sizable bamboo stand, where raccoons and squirrels fidget. There is a grill in the floor that squirts hot air in the winter and cold air in the summer. The desk has two cups with miscellaneous writing instruments, a few scraps of paper, and a large computer monitor. There is also a small desklamp that makes very cool bright light. It makes me feel happy. The office also has shelves, a cubby closet, and a bureau for storing things. Beside the bureau is my treasured oscilloscope. It's analog, and thus doesn't face the nyquist sampling problems that digital scopes do, and it's green glow and soft waveforms are very nice.  There are several three pronged electrical outlets that supply electricity. Usually, I use that electricity for normal things, but sometimes I use it for unusual things. The door of the room is cheap and hollow, with white paint and a chrome brass knob. If I walk out the door and pull a hard right, I find myself in a bathroom, complete with running water, a commode, and a shower. The bathroom has not been cleaned in several weeks, but I will probably do it this weekend. If I forget to turn when I leave the office, I end up in the hall closet. It's dark in there."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...