Mountains

Mountains

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

BioReactor Pile

In my dream house, there's a big victory garden with awesome soil. Part of the awesome soil is the ability to compost material to have a constant source of new nutrients and a place to dispose of debris. We already have a few raised beds... but last years problems with molding soil left a bad taste in my mouth.

Since I live in a place with an over abundances of people who favor asthetics over ascetics, I try to pay some head to making things look nice. Instead of just piling decaying organic matter in the corner of the yard, a tasteful bin to hide the compost and keep it neat seemed in order. Based on designs posted This Old House, I designed a 2 bay bin with a capacity of about 54 (2 x 27) cubic fee. It mostly uses scrap wood from pallets, so parts were essentially free, and repairs will be easy as it rots. 

The base:

Sides:

I used a stud to space out the back so that it would be flat:

The aluminum track (perhaps from an overhead door?) will hold moveable slats that will allow the pile to be turned.

I carefully measured one piece, then used it as a guide to cut all the others. I gave the guide a name.


Middle slats in place:

All in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...