Mountains

Mountains

Thursday, April 21, 2011

In Two Dollar Mouse We Trust?

I got a wireless Logitech mouse for my birthday last year. I am deeply impressed with it, with one small exception. Unless it is in very close proximity to the transiever, it seems to randomly loose signal. While I don't fault the designers for trying to put a sub 100mw radio inside something smaller than my pinky and therefore trading off antenna design, it is annoying for the mouse to sudddenly go AWOL during heated bout of L4D2, resulting in paniced computer rearrangement, hot-pluging, and general chaos.

A short term solution has been to plug a hub between the computers attached to the mouse. This is annoything, especially since the mac only has 2 USB ports that are easy to get at.

A new wired mouse was on the shopping list. I had my eyes on a snazzy gaming mouse, but I was in the store yesterday, and found a full size optical mouse (GE brand... china generic) on clearance. 2 bux?

Apparently optical mouse mechanisms have reached the state where they are practically free. Mechanical mice were like this for a while. I still have one in a box around here somewhere. While the mouse itself a little light (to save money on shipping?) and generally unremarkable. Gaming was so much less stressful. Wireless is cool, but there a bit of security in a cable.

I would admit that I still want a snazzy mouse, but I've wanted one for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...