Mountains

Mountains

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Metablog

I have been posting random internal rambling on the internet since 2002. Nine years ago, doing so was more like running a pirate radio station than an act of social interaction. Employers were not likely to use a search engine to vet employees. There was no facebook, though I think that MySpace was around. As well as LiveJournal and a couple of others.

Coming up with content was easier as a result of the isolation, and because I had a lot of free time to give to my fantasies. Now, I spend a lot of time at a desk doing sciencey things, then come home and do housy things. By the time all is squared away, 15 hours after I woke up, my creativity and motivation are all strung out. I have notes in my notebook of things to write about, but they don't ring the bells they did when I wrote them.

As a consequence, I have been wondering about what direction to take the blog. If any. There is an arguement for organic expansion by doing whatever strikes me at the moment. When I cook dinner, that sometimes works great and sometimes results in frozen pizza threee times in one week. I have also thought about formalizing on a small set of topics and working from there. I have a lot I could write about science. I spend a lot of time writing about science at work, so I have a clue, but writing was not high on the perks of being a scientist, so doing what I dislike about my job at home seems like masochism without pleasure.

I have been enjoying little data analysis case studies. I have thought about doing more with GPS data. I also have some vacuum cleaner math, a fuel economy spreadsheet, and some economic bungling that could be posted.

Whatever works, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...