Mountains

Mountains

Friday, May 12, 2017

Genuine Buddy 125 Maintnance Notes: Part 4, Stuck Seat Latch

4: Sticky Buddy 125 Seat Latch: Not the problem I was expecting!
The seat latch was something that had never worked right for me. After several good slams, it would sometimes latch, and even then, it would usually pop open if I pulled up on the seat. I had read several forum discussions  where the slam/push issue is described as the latch being out of alignment and a couple of methods of fixing that are outlined. When I got the seat latch out of of the scooter (it takes a 1/4" ratchet, a phillips screw driver and 10 minutes to remove the seat bucket), I found that the latch mechanism itself was sticky, and the catch was not camming over to connect with the latch.

While it was obvious that someone had lubricated the post the latch in an attempt to get it to work, the other post with the catch was stiff and grindy. I ended up oiling and greasing both posts and the latch-catch contact point. When I re-read the forums, there were a few folks who chimed in with "I just needed WD-40 and it worked." This is likely what was going on.

Reassembling the lock mechanism resulted in easy, two finger click-lock closing. No realignment required. Having discovered this by disassembly, I know that there are two points in the lock mechanism that may require lubrication to free, and this can be done from the top without taking the scooter apart at all.


Both these pins need to be lubricated and the catch and latch need to swing freely for the latch to work reliably. The actuating spring isn't very strong, and it won't latch unless there is no resistance.


A photo of the inside of the pet carrier with the seat bucket removed. The unbolted lock assembly is at the left. This scooter has accumulated a lot of dust.


2 comments:

  1. Hello. Thanks so much for such an informative post! It's helped me understand the work ahead to help my seat issues. By chance would you know a source to purchase the spring shown in the first two pictures? One of the ends of mine snapped off due to use so it'll be something I need to replace when I open it up. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't know where to get the spring. You might be able to swap in something from the autoparts or hardware store. The springs retraction power is not remarkable.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the tone...