Mountains

Mountains

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Genuine Buddy 125 Maintnance Notes (Intro)

It's not differed maintenance unless it's past the wear bars. 

....Also, I put in a new battery and regularly change the oil.

I've owned and ridden a 2007 Genuine Buddy 125 scooter for 4 5 years. The prior owner noted that it had spent it's formative ~3,000 miles in Oklahoma (It still has a University of Oklahoma parking sticker) rain and dust. He was getting rid of it mostly due to not liking to ride in the suburban hellscape that is the DC metro area and because his wife’s abdomen had started bulging over the past few months: As such he was divesting himself of every symbol of freedom, joy, and dreams of a happy future he owned so as to better situate himself to his new dreary reality.

Since then, I'd run down the battery, changed the oil, added a windscreen, watched the bike fall over in the driveway and break the windscreen, and overall enjoyed a mostly easy riding experience.

By 6,000 miles several issues had become apparent.
  1. The rear tire was past the wear bars and wouldn't pass safety inspection
  2. The ugly windscreen gave safety inspectors pause and caused inspection to take twice as long, also made the bike look ugly
  3. The exhaust was rusting
  4. The seat latch rarely latched
  5. Having done the Voodoo Buddy Deadlight mod to my wifes 2009 buddy, I was inspired to recreate the effort on the 2007. I had bought all the parts except the LED lights themselves whien I did the 2009, but never finished the job on the 2007.
  6. I was never able to get the transmission to smoothly cycle, resulting in mild surging behavior: the rollers needed to be replaced.
  7. I want a bigger motorcycle, and fixing 1-6 seemed likely to increase the sales premium I can achieve
Thus, I've embarked on series of projects over the past few months to improve the bike. After an initial, rather long and rambling single post, the tail of fun and excitment has been broken into individual pages, one per project.


Part 1: Rear Tire

Part 2: Wind Screen

Part 3: Muffler

Part 4: Seat Latch

Part 5: Deadlights


Part 6: Sliders and Belt

(And I ranted in detail about Genuine Buddy oil filters here)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...