Mountains

Mountains

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm going to choke you with this bar of soap

If i had kid with a swearing problem, I would probably just figure that they heard it from my own pirate mouth and resolve to use new and exciting insults and tirades that they would likely recite and then get in deeper trouble for. ("They are not fat bastards! That's inappropriate language! Never say bastard! Never call someone fat! The correct phrase is human gravitational anomolies.")

I should also seek to write posts that have the same gravitas as their titles. It's like I suck you in with great sizzle, and only to discover that I'm frying lard in pure MSG so my thugs can mug you and take 5 minutes off your life.

I have tabled the project to get my own server for a bit. After I let go of my elitism, figured out how to direct link images in Blogger to Picassa Alblums (so you can click on an image and see it full size), I found that *gasp* it's actually very easy to use, and does not get in you way. There is something to be said for being able to focus on writing and not worrying too much about neatly piling the input together for the ever-persnickety html generating perl code I wrote in 2006. Now if I can just get the D*&@%! style sheets fixed so that the blog margins will expand indefinitely.


Of course, I really like how wikis blur the lines between the writers. I should find my password to grue and work on that again. It was fun.


For the uninitiated, unistrut and 80/20 are modular framing and support systems. Think about it at rapid development and prototyping for mechanical and structural engineering. Essentially, they supply machined bar stock with groves and slots at regular intervals, and a set of fittings that matches and some nice load tables so you can match everything together to get the performance characteristics you need. It reduces the amount of cutting and drilling to the minimum. It is a lot faster than having to cut and drill a bunch of raw bar stock on your own. Generally speaking (there is overlap), Unistrut is iron and generally works well with large loads and designs (think large racks, shelving, heaving equipment mounting) while 80/20 is best for small racks and enclosures that. The unistrut line is mostly steel. The 80/20 line is mostly aluminum. Industrial erector set is right!

Lately, I have been finding it is cheaper to get the unistrut straight from the factory. Some resellers have marked up the price a factor of 2 or more per foot. It pays to shop around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the tone...