Mountains

Mountains

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?


My brother showed up sometime late Wednesday night, and put his VW into gear and quietly pulled out of the driveway Saturday morning (approximately). This was our first true long period together in over a year (since when, last thanksgiving? Oh yea! The fridge died... I remember that!)

It was great to see him, and, uh, we didn't do much. We talked a lot, and I spent all day Friday at work so I would have enough vacation for thanksgiving and christmas. We are almost out of alcohol, so it couldn't have been too bad. We cooked a lot. Surprisingly, we spent no time playing computer games or chess, though he did determine that my FreeNas server simply won't mount FAT32 drives without a lot more pain that I'm willing to belly up. I believe I made grilled cheese while he did that.

He made vegetarian meatballs. I'm not sure that's the best name for a dish that celebrates a food that the parent gastronomic culture is in blatant denial of. I am trying to accept such eccentricities as a fact of life, and besides, it is somehow more descriptive than fried tofu breadcrumb mush.

He did spend some quality time with the dog. Twice he had the joy of yanking my overzealous mutt of some poor bicyclist, as well as helping yank his snout from a snout snapping jack russel. I find it amazing that after haveing his nose bit, went to go for a second sniff...

He also spent a day with The Girly, I gather they had a good time as no one was seriously injured when I came home from work.


We also engaged in the usual mutual photography session.



I (heck, let's be honest, -we-) have been quite nomadic for the past, oh, 9 years. I find it quite odd that we both landed within a few hours drive of each other in situations that can be described as "for the foreseeable future". I get to see him again Wednesday, and again for Thanksgiving. It's nice to have family in the vicinity.

Since he's family, he's also one of the few people who will get out and argue with me about something. We have vastly different views on image processing and printing calculators.

We have spent a lot of time considering the current job situation. I do not know whether to consider ourselves special or lucky to have had -multiple- job opportunities to pay the bills. In contrast, I can think of many colleagues and friends who have been empty handed for years now. While the options were not really all good, at least there were some palatable ones in there. It beats starving. However, now we are watching the world spin and wonder, a little, if the new found gravy train will stop.

I also think we are a dismayed that opportunities we had hoped for are not easily had right now, if ever again. We had some warning that things were going to be changing before the recession, but it is very hard to grasp the shape of the change. For gen X and Y, this means having to scale back expectations. Some tit-for-tat exchange of goals and realities has to be made to keep bread on the table. Or simply accept that there is no free lunch. We have microwaves, natural gas heaters, and flush toilets, thus enjoying what is probably among the most decadent existences known to humans, so there is some wiggle room. At the same time, part time work that would allow community involvement and some alternative definition of balance seem to be out of the question at the moment. The wisdom of un-ending higher education seems pointless in the face of staggering unemployment. It's all inside out and not working as planned.

Oh, I made a pretty good loaf of whole wheat, too. Even though I put in 3 times as much sugar, so it rose twice in about on hour.

Fresh bread and wine go very well together.

3 comments:

  1. You and Alex may not be able to work part time to have free time to play and volunteer, but most people can only get part time work, and need 2 or 3 jobs to pay the bills. They don't have free time to play or volunteer either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we were looking at decently paying part time jobs... part time, highly skilled labor. There are certainly problems that demand that sort of utility, but at the moment, no one is putting money to solve them. The problems have to grow into full time positions, unless they know someone.

    The positions that were present pre-recession have sort of evaporated. They were always rare in our work-aholic society.

    I think if I were to be a consultant, I could pull it off, but I'm not sure how to do that at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think it could be done. The problem is the pressure...If someone wants to pay you, they usually want the results asap...not willing to wait for you to be at your leisure. I wonder if it would be possible to strike an amicable balance with downtime between projects. However, there's the whole living in fear thing...If you actually need to work, can you turn work down when you find it?

    To be honest, I think the best bet will happen on its own in the not too distant future. Meaning I think that in the face of long term unemployment we will move towards the French solution. Less work for more people is probably more economically (definitely more socially) viable than starving mobs...not that it looks like thats happening. The trend in my very small purview lies in multi-generational housing setting up situations like mom talks about. One major bread winner and Population/2 minor seem to be able to keep a household afloat while the other Population/2 tend things...

    I have several friends who are victims of debt so to speak....they will never move out of home until the economy turns because what little work they can find goes entirely to their student loans and credit cards. I'm actually kinda afraid two really close friends of mine will end up there when they graduate...they dragged their educational heals and missed some good gravy.

    A indefinitely fascinating time to be alive.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the tone...